Travelmag Banner

An Introduction to Teaching English Abroad

If you plan on travelling the world and need to make your budget stretch as far as possible, why not look into teaching English whilst you travel?

You might have to stay at one location for longer, but you’ll get paid for your trouble and can experience everything the country has to offer whilst you’re there. Not only that, you’ll get to experience a new culture and learn the language of your host country in the process.

You’d be surprised at how easy it is to teach English as a foreign language. If you have a university degree from anywhere from Chicago colleges to London universities and speak first language English, you’ll find you are able to teach in many countries. In fact, in some underdeveloped countries, you just need to be able to speak fluent English and you can get a job teaching it.

To make sure you fulfil the requirements of any country though, it’s a good idea to get a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) degree. This course usually lasts for around 4 weeks (or 120 hours) and will set you back by at least £170 (online cost).

The course involves mostly lectures with a practical test at the end and focuses for the main part on how to teach and get the most from your students.

It’s important to remember that the TEFL qualification can give you an edge when looking for a teaching placement in countries on your wish list, but, you won’t need it in many countries so do your research first.

As an alternative to the TEFL course, there are 2 other courses you can opt for, which are accepted worldwide; the Cambridge ELT Certificate (CELTA) and the Trinity Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL); the former of which usually takes around 4 weeks full time and the latter, around 4-6 weeks full time (or part time over a longer duration).

If you like the sound of teaching English abroad but don’t have one of the above qualifications, why not look into an internship. You’ll achieve the TEFL accreditation during the process and usually get free accommodation and a living allowance, so you can make the most of your time in a new and exciting country.

You’ll usually only need to be able to speak English fluently, be over 21, hold a passport from an English speaking country and have a university degree.

All in all, teaching English abroad can open many doors and enrich your travelling experience so go on, why not give it a try! travel insurance deals

   [Top of Page]  
 Latest Headlines