Not many people know much about the island Greenland, because not many have been in the country, which actually is a shame. Greenland has so much to offer as a destination and is so much different than other countries, which not many know. Therefore this list has been made to inform people what they are missing out.
1. Greenland is the largest island in the world, but ironically Greenland is also the country with the lowest population density and has one of the smallest capitals in the world.
2. The enormous Greenland Ice Sheet covers Greenland completely from coast to coast. The country is filled with mountains, massive glaciers and icebergs – an experience out of its normal.
3. In Greenland the population use dog sledding as a mode of transportation and hunting and have done that for around 5.000 years. In North Greenland a dog sledding competition takes place every year, called Avannaata Quimussersua.
4. The population in Greenland originally comes from Central Asia. The country is placed on the North American continent but geopolitically the island is a part of Europe.
5. Greenland is a part of the Kingdom of Denmark, but has a high degree of autonomy, which was last expanded in 2009. The language is Greenlandic, but with Danish as a second language. In the street you can hear several other languages like Filipino, Thai, Norwegian, Icelandic, English and other languages.
6. In Greenland there is no such as groundwater, the drinking water comes from ice and rain. In Greenland you can enjoy geothermal warm water surrounded by mountain peaks and drifting icebergs. The heat source is an impeccable experience for both the soul and body.
7. The population in Greenland is around 56.300, because there is not much land to live on. Around 82% of Greenland is covered by ice and 90% of the population lives on the west coast.
8. For almost 2.500 years shifting waves of nomadic people have populated Greenland. They lived by the sea and used the resources there, but the problem was they always left the country. Therefore, one day for more than 2.000 years ago the largest island in the world didn’t had any human population.
9. The huge land in Greenland makes Greenland the 12th largest country in the world, but at the same time the country with the least population in the world. The population in Greenland lives in little towns and villages all around in the country, and there is no such of roads that link these towns to each other.
10. Greenland has an arctic climate, which means that in the winter the temperature is typically minus 50 degrees. But in the summer the degrees is around plus 10 and 15 degrees. The weather in Greenland is very dry, so the cold temperature seems warmer than it actually is.